When mobile phones are used appropriately they offer students and parents advantages in terms of communication and a sense of personal safety. However, mobile phones sometimes have a negative impact on the learning environment and the safety and well being of students. When a student is on the school premises, parents and students should communicate via the the school’s phone (9522 9951). The office is pleased to pass messages to students and will allow students to make calls to their parents with the permission of senior executive staff. The reason for this protocol is because when your child is on the school’s premises, the staff are responsible for their safety and whereabouts. Unknown communication between parents and students via mobile phones may lead to situations where this responsibility is compromised.
What Is Inappropriate Use
Inappropriate mobile phone use occurs when it:
- disrupts or is likely to disrupt the learning environment
- interferes with the operation of the school
- threatens or is likely to threaten the safety or well being of any person
- is in breach of any law, including photography without permission of those being filmed.
Inappropriate use of mobile phones may include students using them to bully, intimidate or otherwise harass other people through any voice call, text message, photographic, video or other data transfer system available on the phone.
Guidelines For Use
- Once at school mobile phones should be turned off and out of sight. Incoming calls or messages or alerts during the school day disrupt the learning environment. The student will be warned, and asked to turn the phone off. The phone will then be secured in administration until the end of the school day.
- If a student has their phone secured on three occasions, then a further consequence will be issued by the Principal.
- Students must never lend a phone to another student for calls, text messaging or for use as a camera or video recording device. The student who owns the phone will be held responsible for its use.
- The inappropriate use of mobile phones will be recorded on the student’s record of behaviour which deals with student welfare related incidents that involve bullying, intimidation and/or harassment and disobedience.
Responsibility for Mobile Phones
Students bring mobile phones to school at their own risk – the school and school staff members will not accept any responsibility for loss or damage to mobile phones or for investigating loss or damage.
The procedures applying to the inappropriate use and security of mobile phones, apply equally to the inappropriate use of portable computer games, ipods and similar devices.
Introduction and Reinforcement of Mobile Phone Policy
- Teachers will discuss this policy with students at assemblies and in classrooms.
- When inappropriate use is detected it will be dealt with in terms of this policy.
- The community will be made aware of the policy on the school’s website and when students are inducted to the school.
- The policy will be published in the handbook given to all new enrolments.